As mentioned above, a service now can prevent problems later down the line. There’s nothing worse than having no hot water or heating during the winter time and, quite literally, being left out in the cold. If you discover a problem in autumn or winter, it’s likely that you’ll need things fixing right away and sometimes that’s just not possible. Later on in the year, the demand for repairs is much higher, meaning waiting times for customers will be much longer than in the summer. Plus, there’s often less flexibility with when we can get to you. In the summertime, we’re more likely to be able to work around what suits you because there are fewer people experiencing pressing issues with their boilers and plumbing. As well as getting services done over the summer, we also recommend doing any revamping work at this time too. Again, this is because the need for heating and hot water is less during this time and if any problems arise, it’s far better that these happen when you’re not desperate to turn on the central heating.
Below is a detailed checklist of the work we’ll do during our systems services. There’s a long list of components and functions that we’ll check and test before confirming with you that your system is either entirely fine, or letting you know that there’s some work to be done to prevent any winter breakdowns. Throughout the service, we’ll make thorough notes on how the system functions and the condition of the components.
- Carry out full checks and tests on: gas let-by, tightness, gas pipework carcass, stability and integrity including a check for sufficient earth bonding
- Check and clean boiler case and seals (replace seals where required)
- Check condition and clean burner
- Remove combustion chamber or casing, check and clean heat exchanger where applicable
- Replace burner/combustion chamber seals where required
- Check/clean probes, electrodes, spark assembly or flame detection (replace where required)
- Check, remove and clean condense trap
- Check condition/integrity of fan and result of performance where possible
- Check for sufficient ventilation where required, dependant on appliance category
- Check and clean any flue ways, check seals and full inspection of the entire integrity of flue, supports and condition
- Check and clean system sludge filters
- Insert inhibitors to system as standard
- Carry out working tests to boiler, as per manufacturer’s instructions and including checking flame picture
- Carry out combustion gas analysis and record
- Carry out gas rating
- Carry out final gas tightness test
Finally, we fill our any relevant paperwork, including safety certificates and reports, and hand over to you. All our checks help us to work out how well your boiler and heating systems are working and can give us an idea of how well they’re likely to function over the coming months. Armed with this knowledge, you can decide if you’d like any preventative maintenance work doing before the wintertime.
If you’d like a systems service over the summer, call us on 01933 717024 to arrange an appointment.